Mussels with wheat beer and bacon
heck out these mussels with wheat beer and bacon. Our recipe is low in calories, it uses beer instead of white wine and bacon gives the dish a real smoky flavour. Serve with crusty bread as a starter or as a main meal.
- olive oil
- 100 g smoked bacons lardons
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 300 ml wheat beer, such as Erdinger
- 1 kg mussels, cleaned
- handful flat-leaf parsely, chopped
- bread to serve
- STEP 1Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pan with a lid. Add the bacon and cook until crisp.STEP 2Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, then pour in the beer and bring to a simmer.STEP 3Check the mussels and discard any that don’t close when tapped on a worksurface.STEP 4Tip in the mussels, put on a lid and cook until all the mussels have opened. (Discard any shells that stay closed).STEP 5Shake the pan now and again to redistribute the heat.STEP 6Stir in the parsley and serve in warm bowls with bread.
As in the picture - cook with beer, and have with a beer - preferably on a nice beach.