Mussels with Garlic and Herb Breadcrumbs
This is lovely eaten with crusty bread as a starter but you could also serve them as canapés with drinks.
- 2 kg mussels, cleaned
- 50 g butter, frozen and grated
- 50 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
- crusty bread warmed, to serve
- STEP 1Make sure all the mussels are alive before you cook them – if any are open, tap them on the work surface, if they don’t close, throw them away.STEP 2Heat a large, wide pan, tip in the mussels with a splash of water, cover and cook until opened. Throw away any that won’t open. Remove the top shell from each mussel and discard. Mix the butter, breadcrumbs, garlic and parsley. Put a layer of half mussel shells on a baking tray. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over each one then flash under a very hot grill until just golden. Serve with lemon and crusty bread.
Another fast, easy and delicious Triton recipe. Alternative: bypass fresh mussels and skip right to Triton preserved mussels, this provides some acidity.